Horsham War Memorial was unveiled and dedicated in November 1921 to commemorate the 359 local men who lost their lives during the First World War.
Funded by public subscriptions, Horsham War Memorial was designed by local architect Claude Kay who would subsequently also be in involved in the design of the Capitol Theatre and the Drill Hall.
The 17ft high base, plinth, and obelisk, Hopton Wood stone construction is adorned with a Runic cross and bronze Crusader's sword.
The base inscription reads: ‘IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF HORSHAM WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY’
The memorial was moved to it's present position in the Carfax in 1992 when the Carfax was pedestrianised. At this time the names of those known to have died in the Second World War were added.